I just posted an interesting page called "Llibre Vermell & Legends of Montserrat" on the Montserrat Area of the Sister Site. Good background info...
Isn't anyone else going to post anything on this beautiful site that Amrita created?
Love to yous,
Rhea
Hi, Rhea. I'm so green at using blogs, I don't know how to reach the article, and I want to. I also want to post an explanation about Latin pronunciation, but I don't know how to do that, either. Help?!
ReplyDeleteAnd you're right--this is a beautiful site. Thanks, Amrita.
ReplyDeleteThis is my first venture into the blogosphere. I'm resistant, but I see its usefulness and am grateful for Amrita's and Rhea's efforts. This is a message from my friend and teacher, Robert Powell, that I wanted to share with you -- it has information about the Madonna herself, and also about Gaudi's famous unfinished cathedral in Barcelona.
ReplyDelete"Montserrat is a very special place.
The first thing to know is that the Black Madonna in the cathedral is a copy of the original - most people do not know this. To find the original, one has to take the ski lift down. ("Ski lift" is not quite the right expression; I guess one could say "mountain tram"). When one is down, one follows the winding path leading to the right across the rocky cliff face. It is probably about a 20 minute walk, not very steep, but a gentle ascending incline. On the way one encounters scenic displays of the 14 stages of the cross. This mountain path leads to the cave/church where the Black Madonna is. Not so many people go there. Linger in front of the Black Madonna and one can feel that there the forces of the heavens meet and unite with the forces of the earth. No wonder that the Black Madonna, according to legend, sought out this place to be and kept returning there every time she was removed.
When you return back up the ski lift (mountain tram), you come back to the level of the cathedral. From this level it is also possible to take another ski lift (mountain tram) up to the top of the mountains. If you have time, do this, as one has a spectacular view from up there, and there is something very primal and mystical about these mountain peaks.
Lastly, if you spend any time in Barcelona, a "must" is to visit the cathedral La Sagrada Familia designed by Gaudi ("The Holy Family") - which must rank as one of the wonders of the (present) world. Unfortunately, the cathedral is still not finished. Nevertheless, it is an overwhelming experience to see - and to be inside - this cathedral. http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Sagrada_Familia.html."